לעברית לחצו כאן
The WiFree software is originally intended to be an obstacle to the random opening of non-filtered internet, whether due to a malfunction or due to temporary exposure to non filtered WiFi network in travel or else.
There are simple steps that can protect your computer more hermetically, which is required if you want to make sure the computer should not be a obstacle for youngster.
The risk exists with the following factors:
- Availabily of non-filtered Internet - Either there is at home reception for non-filtered Internet, or the computer user may have an unfiltered SIM, or an antenna that can receive another network.
- Time and desire, or professional knowledge.
The steps to toughen the protection against these cases are divided into two: operating system-level protection, and computer-level protection.
This is a basic operation that does not require special knowledge, and is very much needed in the above cases. This action comes against WiFree removal / disabling / tampering.
Operating system protection is done by the following steps:
- Setting a difficult password for the computer admin user
- Creating a "standard" user for anyone who needs access to the computer .
A non-admin user often poses a hassle for the user as he cannot install software, however this is a basic requirement in case of the above risks.
This is more advanced, and is meant to counter booting the computer with an external system on a removable drive. The operation may be complicated for the average user, and a technician should be assisted if necessary (If you are a technical person in general you can use forums to get help to do these or follow the instructions below).
Required steps: (Note this is only for ADVANCED users.)
- Enter the BIOS settings upon startup (or restart - sometimes easier) of the computer. (Usually by pressing F12 or as directed on startup.)
- Set a difficult password for the BIOS.
- Prevent booting from a removable disk or optical disk.
- Disable virtualisation technologies (VT-x/AMD-V).
- Leave and save changes.
On a Desktop computer, these steps can be bypassed by physically accessing the BIOS reset component that is present in the computer case. You must ensure that there is no risk of opening the computer case screws.